Some observations from my first week on the Whole30 (in my case Whole60)…
- I had trouble sleeping, including falling sleep, staying asleep, waking up, and staying awake. I really just want to sleep a lot but then I could not sleep well at night.
- I had a slight headache on Monday evening but it passed and no headaches since.
- The food is really good but it does require planning ahead and grocery shopping. My lunches looked good enough that my co-workers thought what I was eating would be better than what they bought in the cafeteria or food court.
- Coconut flakes are awesome. This really was an epiphany for me. I have never been a fan of coconut but it is a good source of fat on the Whole30 so I have had coconut oil, coconut milk, and coconut flakes all this week. And I must say again, coconut flakes are really, really good. I have eaten nearly a whole bag in one week and I did not even get them until mid-week.
- I have been dying to weigh myself but the scale is off-limits for this entire program.
- I have been surprised that I have not had but a few cravings. I am someone that had to have something sweet after dinner and could not walk by a candy bowl without taking 1 or 2 or 3… I craved a diet soda on Monday which I also find strange since I normally don’t drink soda except occasionally. And I craved chocolate during a meeting on Friday because there were chocolate caramel pretzels being passed around.
- Not counting calories or weighing my food is truly liberating. I have dieted on and off for years and there has always been some detail to record. Only having to record the item and take a picture is much easier than all the analysis.
- I had a PR at the gym which was unexpected and likely due to improvements leading up to this program and not specifically the Whole30 though I am sure good nutrition helped.
- I only went to the gym 2 days mostly because I was so tired all week. I did get out and do lots of walking though.
The Whole9Life has a timeline of what to expect during the Whole30 which is pretty accurate so far though I did not have a “kill all the things” day yet and day 6 was boundless energy followed by I just want a nap on Day 7.
I also found some great resources this week.